Creating Dropbox Activities
When creating online or web-enhanced courses you can create drop boxes for your students to save their assignments to. Students can submit written assignments in a word processor format, their statistics assignments as electronic spreadsheets, or even presentations created in a package like PowerPoint. You can then grade all submissions online, post the results to the course gradebook, and return comments to the students.
1. Open your sample course.
2. Click on the Materials tab.
3. Click on the folder that will house the assignment.
4. Click on the Add Content link located under folder name.
5. Click on the Drop Box link. The Drop Box form will be displayed.
6. Type the assignment title in the Title field.
7. Type or paste student instructions such as due date, and nature of the assignment in the Directions field.
8. Click on the Submission tab, then set the following parameters.
- Click on the drop-down arrow next to the Max Submissions field then click on the number of times a drop box item can be submitted.
- The Message Box option has two settings Enabled (default) and Disabled. The Enabled setting allows students to attach a message to their assignments. To disable this feature click on the drop-down arrow next to the Message Box field then click on "disabled".
- The Attachments option has two settings Enabled (default) and Disabled. The Enabled setting allows students to attach a document to the dropbox. To disable this feature click on the drop-down arrow next to the Attachments field then click on "disabled".
9. ck on the Assignments tab, then set the following parameters.
- Click on the drop-down arrow next to the Milestone Settings: Task Type field, then click on:
- Manually Marked if this will be a graded assignment, or
- If Manually Marked is selected two additional selection fields will be selected: Assign Date and Due Date. To set the dates click on the drop-down arrows next to the month, day and year fields and select the appropriate entries or click on the calendar icon to set the assignment and/or due dates.
- Item Completion if no grade will be assigned to the activity
- If this is a graded assignment click on the drop-down arrow next to the Gradebook Settings: Assignment field, then click on (New Assignment). Four additional selection fields will be displayed.
- Category –
Determines which category the content is associated with in the gradebook. The default is uncategorized. To add a category click on the [other] button. A New Category popup box will be displayed.
- Enter a category title in the Title field.
- Type a grade weight in the Weight field.
- Click on the selection boxes next to the auto calculate or extra credit fields to set the features.
- Click on the [Add] button. An add conformation message will be displayed.
- Points Possible –
The points value for the assignment should be entered in this field.
- Calculation Type –
This determines how the grade is calculated. The default is first submission.
- If multiple submissions are allowed then you may want to select average score, maximum score, last submission or manual grading for the final grade. This setting can be changes by clicking on the drop-down arrow next to the field, then selecting the appropriate setting.
- Display Format –
This determines how the grade is displayed to students. The default is Course Default. Other options are: Percent (Letter Grade), Score (Percent), Score (Letter Grade), Score, Percent, Letter Grade.
- hide gradebook assignment from students –
Specifies whether the gradebook assignment should be viewable by students. Default is to display the assignment to the students. If you wish to hide this assignment from the students click on the check box to the left of the field.
10. Click the [Save] button. The folder content screen will be displayed.