Designing Learning Content for Mobile Devices
The following highlights some of the tools and techniques that can be used to develop learning materials for delivery across mobile devices.
Designing ePub Materials
Tools and Resources
- Runs on: Windows, Mac
- Output: text, html file, ePub
- Cost: $449 new license, $125 upgrade
- Download: (30 day trial) http://www.adobe.com/downloads/
- User Guide: many guides can be purchased through a variety of vendors
Designing Materials with iBooks Author
- Xcode 4 – toolset for building OSX ans iOS applications. Open source tool with a lot of good documentation and large developer network.
* Please keep in mind that although the iBooks Author tool is very easy to use the output currently only runs on the iPad.
- BookGlutton – for $5 the service will convert an HTML based book into a valid ePub format and assist with marketing of the text. They have really strict requirements for how the submitted files should be packaged so read their guidelines carefully. (http://www.bookglutton.com/)
- EPUB Validator – allows you to upload ePub documents for validation against ePub 2 & 3 standards. (http://validator.idpf.org/)
- ePub Zen Garden – site discusses how to visually design eText and offers a set of resources for designing eText under a creative commons license. (http://epubzengarden.com/)
- Inkling – provides SmartBooks and textbooks of the iPad. Some titles are free other chapters and full text can be purchased. (http://www.inkling.com/)
- Kitabu – Desktop/Laptop ePub reader and organizer. (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kitabu/id492498910?mt=12)