Recommended Applications and Plugins for 2012
The following are a set a applications and plugins that I have added to my teaching toolkit this year. Many of the resources have been around for more than a year, but I tested them for classroom application in the past 8-10 months.
Collaboration, Assessment & Polling
- Classroom Salon – this platform is designed to encourage social reading among students and to measure student participation. The tool assists with flipping reading intensive courses. (http://www.classroomsalon.org)
- Piazza – tool allows faculty to create peer collaboration spaces that encourage self directed learning through guided questions. Instructors can also monitor student interactions within the environment and provide guidance where necessary. (http://piazza.com)
- Socrative – is an easy to use cloud-based student response system that assists instructors in engaging learners in a series of exercises and games via mobile devices. (http://www.socrative.com)
- Wiggio – provides an easy to use platform for project collaboration, study groups and virtual class meetings. the platform allows groups to: emails, text messages, voice notes, video notes, schedule events on a shared calendar, upload and edit shared files, create pollsm conduct conference calls, virtual meetings, and manage project to-do lists. (http://wiggio.com)
- Paper Machines plugin for Zotero – an open-source extension for the Zotero bibliographic management software. Its purpose is to allow individual researchers to generate analyses and visualizations of large collections [user-provided research articles], without requiring extensive computational resources of technical knowledge.” (https://github.com/chrisjr/papermachines) The add-on is available for Firefox and Zotero Standalone, and visualizations can also be saved as html files. The software’s analyses will incorporate any items that contain attachments — PDFs with OCR text, HTML files, and plain text — as well as their associated notes and tags.
- Pulse Press plugin for WordPress – A group blog theme for short update messages, inspired by Twitter. Perfect for group blogging, or as a liveblog theme. Dynamic page updates. Threaded comment display on the front page. In-line editing for posts and comments. Live tag suggestion based on previously used tags. A show/hide feature for comments, to keep things tidy. Real-time notifications when a new comment or update is posted.
I hope that you find the resources useful, if so please share them with others. Have a wonderful and restful holiday season.